JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
A worker walking on a cargo pile of rounded steel bars is killed when the
pile falls over, catching the head of the worker
[Description of the Accident]
This accident took place during preparatory work to pick up rounded steel
bars for shipment from a cargo pile within a warehouse.
Various kinds of specialty steel materials were stored in the warehouse,
which had an overhead crane to lift and move the materials.
The victim was working with crane operator A on the day of the accident.
They entered the warehouse to ship two rounded steel bars, which had a
diameter of 250 mm and a length of 6 m.
In order to take two steel bars from the pile, crane operator A entered
the driver's cab of the overhead crane and was waiting for a signal from
The victim selected steel material to be shipped, and climbed up on the
cargo pile of the rounded steel bars to carry out the slinging work. While
he was moving on the pile, one of the rounded steel bars rolled down, catching
the head of the victim.
1. Various kinds of rounded steel bars with different diameters were heaped
up in one cargo pile.
2. There were some rounded steel bars in the upper and middle sections
of the cargo pile that were not firmly settled in the grooves of the cargo
pile, making them prone to easily roll down.
3. The work was carried out without confirming the safety situation of
the cargo pile.
4. Education concerning the dangers involved in cargo piling work had not
been adequately provided.
5. While similar work had been carried out on a daily basis, no operations
manual had been prepared.
6. The work was not carried out under the supervision of an operation chief
of cargo piling, which is required by law and ordinance.
|[Type of business]
|[Type of accident]
|[Number of victims]