JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
Inhaling ethylene oxide gas during sterilization work in a hospital
|[Discription of Incident]
The victim suffered from poisoning by inhaling residual ethylene oxide
gas in a sterilization chamber during the work to sterilize beds, etc.,
by using the sterilization and drying equipment in a hospital.
The victim went to work around 7:00 a.m., removed sterilized items from
the chamber in sterilization and drying equipment, set new items to be
sterilized in the chamber, closed the chamber door, opened a gas value,
and turn on a switch to start the operation. This sterilization and drying
equipment started automatic operations with settings of eight hours for
the sterilization process and six hours for discharge of residual gas after
Around 5:00 p.m., the victim went to the sterilization room to start sterilization
work for the next items. At that time, one hour had passed after the equipment
was switched to residual gas discharge operations.
Because the victim believed that manually stopping the equipment during
the residual gas discharge process can discharge ethylene oxide gas more
quickly than under automatic operations, the victim opened the operating
panel and turned off the exhaust timer switch. As this stopped the ventilation
fan and overall equipment operations, the victim opened the chamber and
started to replace the items to be sterilized, during which the victim
inhaled residual ethylene oxide gas.
- As the equipment operation was stopped after one hour had elapsed since the equipment was switched to the residual gas discharge process, ethylene oxide gas still remained in the sterilization chamber.
- As the victim opened the sterilization chamber that still contained ethylene oxide gas, the victim inhaled ethylene oxide gas remaining in the chamber.
- The victim did not assume that the gas would be remained and he failed
to use protective equipment.
- The victim stopped the equipment in the middle of automatic operations
without knowledge and experience.
- Instrument to detect residual gas in the chamber was not installed.
- No particular operator was designated for the equipment operation, and
education/training based on the operating manual was not provided for those
engaged in the sterilization work.
|[Type of business]
|Harmful substances, etc.
|[Type of accident]
|Contact with harmful substances, etc.
|[Number of victims]
|One injury (requiring an absence from work)